Paint Flaking Off

Tundra Dweller
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0T

Paint Flaking Off

Post  on 12/20/2010, 6:34 pm

With in 1200 miles I noticed a small paint "chip" in the center of the hood. Two days later there were two more and one on the windshield strut. I called the Dealer and brought it in. The service manager said they were caused by rocks hitting the car.
    They washed it to have a better look and I pointed out there were no indentations indicating impact. I told them no rocks had hit the car and that the paint came off right to the metal. He claims Hyundai has zero issues with paint. I told him I have two other vehicles with over 150,000 miles and neither of them had paint flake off and they are driven year round. It took two weeks but the regional manager approved having the hood repainted. I will be keeping a close eye on the rest of the car. It is the Red color.
    As for the paint being too fresh for the cold weather it sat at the Dealership for several days after delivery to have the oil tube replaced.
    I am NOT pleased with this! Mad

Giants4Ever
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Re: Paint Flaking Off

Post  on 12/21/2010, 11:28 am

Tundra: Really sorry to hear that. My Acura did the same thing. Built in America, they had to use inferior (water based, I was told) paint. If a rock even thought about hitting the front of the car, it took paint off. I was shocked because I'd never had the problem with any other new car, and I found little support from the dealer. This started immediately after I took delivery. My Sonata is the same color and will be watching for any signs.

Hotwheels
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 2.0T SE

Post  on 1/26/2011, 3:26 am

I had clear 3 M paint protection strip installed on the hood approx 12 inches wide full width of hood, wrapped under hood lip so should take care of most of the potential stone chips ( I hope)

RenoF250
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/26/2011, 9:35 pm

I had a Jetta and the whole front of the hood got all pitted after one trip to Reno. I need to get some of the 3M material.

Giants4Ever
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Post  on 1/27/2011, 1:57 pm

Hotwheels: Does that plastic strip come off easily? Does it discolor? What potential problems do they present, if any? And our hood drops down so fast, it would seem like the whole surface would really need protection.

RenoF250
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/27/2011, 2:20 pm

Giants4Ever wrote:Hotwheels: Does that plastic strip come off easily? Does it discolor? What potential problems do they present, if any? And our hood drops down so fast, it would seem like the whole surface would really need protection.

It is not intended to come off plan for it to be permanent. It does not discolor the paint or turn brown itself that I have seen. The only problems I have seen with it are - the unprotected pain above it will get pits so there will be a line or protected/unprotected if you do not go high enough and wax can collect at the edge of the film.

RenoF250
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/27/2011, 3:04 pm

Just talked to All About Tint and they will do the film for $450. That includes the bumper ~13" up the hood and the mirrors. He said it has a 5 year warranty. They have a tint special for $199 as well. Not sure if that is a good deal, never tinted a car before.

Hotwheels
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/28/2011, 2:53 am

I actually had the same 3 m strip installed on my F150 2 years ago, no peeling no discoloration, I paid $130 Canadian for the 12 inch strip on my 2.0T hood, installer removed chrome hood lip rolled the film under the hood lip, my experience has been that the leading edge of the hood tends to take the most hits, playing the odds that the 12 inch strip will be adequate, regarding the bumper , grill etc. they are all plastic so I am not so concerned , I actually spoke to my installer about doing the mirror backs and the windshield upright pillars, he did not think that it was money well spent ??

RenoF250
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/28/2011, 10:22 am

I think he is probably correct. Driving over the pass to Reno is really bad with the road sand but most of the damage has been in the first ~4" of hood. I don't remember seeing much on the mirror pillars or bumpers of other cars. The give of the plastic bumper probably helps it quite a bit. I wasn't looking forward to $50 anyway, I think I will try just the hood first as well.

Post  on 2/3/2011, 8:52 pm

The paint on my trunk is coming off.. dealer tells me they need to take pics and then send them to HQ and see what they say on a new paint job..ill take pics and post

Phantom
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: Phantom Black '11 2.0T SE

Post  on 2/4/2011, 1:44 pm

This is concerning. It seems like there are a lot of "little" problems starting to surface with this car. Suspect

Post  on 2/4/2011, 8:34 pm

This is why they always say " never buy the first of anything"...but some times you just cant wait..

Phantom
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: Phantom Black '11 2.0T SE

Post  on 2/5/2011, 10:26 am

TURBOLAGER wrote:This is why they always say " never buy the first of anything"...but some times you just cant wait..

Yeah, I am one who has subscribed to this saying but when this car came out I was in the market for a mid-sized "family sedan" as my family has grown. THEN the turbo came out and that was it, I was hooked.

I am hoping that all of these issues that people are having are things that Hyundai can fix pretty quickly and aren't wide spread.

Hotwheels
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 2/5/2011, 2:25 pm

The fact that we are on this forum probably heightens our awareness considerably more than the average consumer, considering the sheer number of Sonatas being sold these issues are probably trivial, I owned several GM cars in the past and believe me if I had been a member of a forum to discuss the many and varied issues, it would have been a full time job. Keeping positive still love the car.

Tundra Dweller
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0T

Post  on 2/8/2011, 8:24 am

I don't associate the paint as being a "new model" issue. The only real difference between the 2.0T and 2.4 is the engine. H has been making this generation Sonata for a while and should have any painting issues rectified.

Current date/time is 12/20/2014, 6:58 pm