Hyundai Fuel Additive

David

Hyundai Fuel Additive

Post  on 1/2/2011, 9:22 am

Anyone use it? There is mention of it in the owners manual. Just want your thoughts about it. First post BTW. Glad to see there is a forum.

Admin
    Site Administrator
    Site Administrator

Model Year : 2011
    Current Car : Sonata Limited
    Engine : 2.0T

Re: Hyundai Fuel Additive

Post  on 1/2/2011, 8:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm not real sure about the additive. I would think it's not much different than the fuel products that you can find at Autozone.

Post  on 1/21/2011, 8:47 am

The fuel additive is just a simple fuel cleaner. Just use it around every 5,000
    miles. Dont go cheap, use a good brand name. I use BG 44K. They want you to use it because the GDI motor's make a little more carbon then you want after awhile.

RenoF250
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/26/2011, 7:11 pm

The book says you only need it if you cannot find TOP TIER (their caps not mine) gasoline. I think my car will only be drinking Chevron but I will still give it some extra Techron from time to time.

Samual007

Post  on 3/21/2011, 12:00 am

Actually Hyundai is only one who recommend the use of fuel treatments every 15,000 kilometers.. which is great and very commanly the most fuel enhancers are either a hoax or useless to the average consumer..

grajr1952
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

RE: Hyundai Fuel Additive

Post  on 4/28/2011, 4:45 pm

Techron is the recommended additive. I got this information from Hyundai corporate. If you use only Top Tier gasolines, you should only need additive occasionlly (oil change time). Hope this helps.

Robmiezer

Post  on 5/8/2011, 1:00 am

[quote="David"]Anyone use it? There is mention of it in the owners manual. Just want your thyoughts about it. First post BTW. Glad to see there is a forum.

You should not need it is you use a fuel with a detergent. These are direct injection engines and the normal over the counter fuel system cleaners are useless (pretty much). They will not be able to clean the valves on these engines because of the way it is injected. It will help clean the injetors but that is about all. So, if you use a "top tier" gas you never need to use it and if you do it will not hurt your car, but it won't do anything either...

pgeneste

Post  on 7/5/2011, 10:21 am

If I may suggest, For one do make sure your Hyundai service center uses the RIGHT oil, the std Sonata and 2.0 T do NOT have the same base minimum for oil. I had to point that out to my Dealer so they would use the higher 5-30 vs 5-20, I would also suggest the semi-synthetic based oil as it has a higher carbonizing point and that is good when you don't cool down before shutdown Turbo (should never do that but it happens), but as a fuel additive I highly recommend Lucas Fuel Treatment Upper Lubricate for three reasons, you will not build up any carbon, two it will keep your valves and rings much happier, and three will keep your injectors clear. If you buy the 1 Gal it only cost 60cents per fill up to treat (Recommended dosage is 2-3 ounces of Fuel Treatment per 10 gallons of fuel.). Do this with a new engine and you will routinely get +200K miles out. Currently have a R4 with 207K with NO smoke. BTW As soon as a ECU re-flash is available Ill be in line to buy... (Incentive to PowerAxel) If this takes much longer will have to do my own. LoL (Now just to find the time).

SaLLyBaLLzZz
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 7/5/2011, 6:03 pm

But can the ecu be programmer back to stock? I wanna do the flash but I have a lease Sad

thebeet
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2011 SE Turbo

Post  on 7/5/2011, 6:37 pm

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

this stuff is great

innerreflection
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

BOGO deal!

Post  on 3/12/2012, 11:53 am

Heads up !

BOGO
    Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner (20 oz.)

Hidden link Evil or Very Mad

whitesonata12
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2012 Sonata 2.0t

Post  on 3/12/2012, 12:35 pm

I work for hyundai and we do a throttle body clean and a fuel additive every 15k. I see more and more cars from hyundai lasting 150k plus that get there routine maintenance done. Also at 45k we usually do a fuel additive and an induction service. just some food for thought on how we do it at my dealership Smile btw Im new to this forum and love it!

MX_9
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Model Year : 0
    Current Car : '16 maxima SR , 2015 Focus ST Stratified tune

Post  on 3/12/2012, 1:26 pm

Whitesonata12: can you get me the specs for the brake lines (2.0T 2012 Limited) so that I can get some braided steel lines made? Smile Drawings would be perfect if they exist.

whitesonata12
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2012 Sonata 2.0t

Post  on 3/12/2012, 1:44 pm

mx_9 i am sure i could get parts to get me a printout of the brake lines and how they route but with the parts catalog that we use (microcat) doesnt give any dimensions Crying or Very sad ill see if i can get a hold of something for you though!

MX_9
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 3/12/2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks guy! I appreciate the effort and welcome to the community!

leesrt

Current Car : 2012 YF2.0T

Post  on 3/12/2012, 2:10 pm

David wrote:Anyone use it? There is mention of it in the owners manual. Just want your thoughts about it. First post BTW. Glad to see there is a forum.

Hyundais additive is relabled Chevron Techron. You can pay $20 at Hyundai or get it a Advance auto buy one get one free for $13 ($6.50 a bottle).

colloyd00
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 3/12/2012, 3:02 pm

whitesonata12 wrote:I work for hyundai and we do a throttle body clean and a fuel additive every 15k. I see more and more cars from hyundai lasting 150k plus that get there routine maintenance done. Also at 45k we usually do a fuel additive and an induction service. just some food for thought on how we do it at my dealership Smile btw Im new to this forum and love it!

Whitesonata/others - my dealer offered me a throttle body clean at 15k also, but there's no mention of it in the manual. What is that/if there was a possibility for something to go wrong by not doing this (esp w/ a 100k powertrain warranty), wouldn't it be in there? Same for the induction service...

Not trying to be cheap (or get off topic), also trying to keep from buying snake oil...

CounterMeasures: BS/RDR Redline w/ Live; Veil; AL Priority Dual's

innerreflection
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

Post  on 3/13/2012, 4:16 pm

should the chevron techron concentrate be used every oil change or every 15k.
    I have not had my 1st oil change and want to make sure i don't over do this.
    BP is my regular gas choice.
    Shell is do-able but out of the way.

Should i add techron on a near empty tank followed by an oil change or just add it around the 3k mark like the manual shows for the 3k service

MX_9
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 3/13/2012, 5:46 pm

I read a post by a chemical engineer that worked at various refineries or was involved with thim in some way, shape, or form. He recommended using Shell gas for ~ 6 months and then Mobil for ~ 6 months, repeated year after year. His reasoning was that each have very good additives for cleaning and what one doesn't catch, the other one does. I follow this for my cars. I also do some fuel additives once a year. I was using seafoam but after reading about the techron, I'm going to give that a shot. I googled around a bit and techron does appear to be well received.

bmw7891

Current Car : 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Post  on 3/13/2012, 5:47 pm

It should be used every oil change if a top-tier gas isn't used, something that doesn't have detergents and stuff already in it. I use Chevron 93 every fill-up, that already has the Techron in it, so ill prob just use it every 10k miles or so.

VadersRide

Current Car : 2015 Sonata 2.0t Sport

Post  on 3/13/2012, 6:21 pm

I use Sea-Foam once a month...in my car and bike...weather or not its doing anything is the real question.

MX_9
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 3/13/2012, 6:26 pm

I've been using seafoam in my gas as well. This techron stuff looks better since it contains one of the best deposit fighting chemical mixes: PEA.
    I found this thread useful...post 15.
    http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/642470-SeaFoam-Vs.-Techron-anyone-have-any-opinions

dgibson969
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car : 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T Pearl White

Post  on 4/6/2013, 8:37 pm

I'm new here! Just bought a 2013 Sonata 2.0t White. God I love this car! Anyway, I want to point out, that back in my days working service for Audi, Porsche, VW in the 80's through 90's. They came out with the CIS Injection system. They had a Turbo version as well on the Audi 5000T. They immediately started to have problems with Coking on Intake valve stems, and developed the soft walnut decarbonizer. Plus Chevron worked with them to develope a cleaner, known as Techron. Techron needs to be, or is most effective with cold starts, and short trips. Also, it is best to use Techron in a tank just before a fresh oil change. Never treat your car more than twice with techron on one oil change! The problem stemmed from the injector spraying continuously on the intake valve stem, cooling it during long idle periods, and poor quailty gasolines. I can't believe this problem still exists today, but you know as much as I do now. Love this forum and will enjoy talking tech talk anytime. My email is dgibson969aol.com should you want to jabber directly.

Sponsored content

Post  Today at 9:54 pm

Current date/time is 5/29/2016, 9:54 pm